Tuesday, March 3, 2009

UNITED STATES BOUND!

Last week my CUTE brother came home from Afganistan. He has been serving over seas for the past year and now he is home!!!! I was raised in a military family and so glad that I was. I loved being around everything patriotic. Everything had a symbol, special meaning, and when we celebrated the 4th of July it was truely special. I often miss being in that environment and wonder if my children truely know and understand how lucky they are to be an American. I loved my dad being in the military. I loved when he would come home from work in his uniform. I loved attending military functions with him. I felt and still feel so special to have such an important dad! My dad and brother have served their country not because they had too, but because they wanted too. Donny flew to Washington state and stayed at an airbase there for the past few weeks, but his unit came home (to Utah) last Friday. Their plane came in just after 5:00 in the morning. I was not able to be there, but my sister and mom were there. My sister said it was the coolest, most amazing experience. She said when they got to the airport they were directed to a hanger with other families waiting. As they were waiting the big hanger door opened and right in front of them was Donny's plane. WOW!!! The soldiers walked off the plane and through a line of other servicemen in uniform. How Cool! Wish I could have seen it! Donny did a great job in Afghanistan and actually had some really great times. I have seen some of his videos and at times I wondered if he was really working???? He just got word that on March 16th he will be reporting to Monterrey California to attend DLI school where he will have the opportunity to learn Japanese! He was there a few years ago and learned Russian. He is very excited to have this opportunity! He will be there for the next year and a half. Let's just say I plan on visiting. He keeps telling me how beautiful it is there.
So eventhough I don't have that everyday military influence now, it does make me excited that Chase is involved in the scouting program. He has really been enjoying it and is learning a lot of things. Last week we had our Blue and Gold dinner. Rick and Chase had to make a "texas themed" cake. So what better than representing the TEXAS LONGHORNS. (one of Chase's favorite college football teams)
The award given to them was the "Best Cattle Cake." I am so proud of Chase for being involved in the scouting program. I know he will truely benefit from being a scout.

1 comment:

Christine said...

So happy that he has made it home safely. Even though I don't know your brother, please thank him from us for being willing to serve our country and to help keep our freedoms alive. Good luck to him in CA!!