Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's All About Change!

As each one of the kids have their end of the year activities I have been able to take a step back and notice all the change that is and will be going on!!! Jordan had her singing "solo" concert the other night. Wow -how she has progressed. She is still terrified to sing alone in front of people, but what a difference! Each time she does it, she has more confidence in herself. I am so proud of her for stepping out of her comfort zone. She has "changed" and grown so much this year. Not only physically, but emotionally and spiritually. I look at her and wonder where my little girl went!

Paige has been struggling a bit these past few days. She LOVES school and even more, she LOVES Glen Oaks. She is so comfortable and happy at her school. She loves all the teachers and especially her art class and the freedom she has in there. The other night, she just broke down into tears. She just doesn't want to move onto sixth grade and MIDDLE SCHOOL. Don't you just love when those "teaching" moments happen. Paige and I had such a great talk about change. It has been said that, "the only thing constant is change." Paige and I both agreed that her attitude is what will make her fail or succeed. I was able to share personal experiences with her and point out times in her life when she has had "change" and things worked out. I just hope our talk helped her out! I just hate to see my kiddos so uneasy, and sad :(

Chase is growing into such a great kid. (well, let's face it, he has always been a good kid.) It's fun watching him and Cody wrestle, hang out, and really talk! Even though Chase is getting older, he still loves for me to hang out with him. I was able to go to the zoo with him the other day for a field trip....he was so excited I could go! But I think I was more excited that he WANTED me to go!

Cody has grown leaps and bounds this year! Oh my gosh - he reads everything he can get his hands on. Yesterday he started reading a "Wimpy Kid" book. I couldn't believe it!!! You would have never known he struggled so much. I was able to attend a field trip with him the other day as well. You know when you have something happen to you and you just want to freeze time. Cody and I were sitting on the bus and he just scooted himself right next to me and rested his little head on my arm. I cherish moments like that.

Honestly, my talk with Paige was probably as much for me as it was for her. Its not easy for me to watch the kids get older, move on, not tell me everything, not "need" me all the time. I wish the kids wouldn't get older, I wish I could just freeze them. BUT - I know I can't. So as they get older and grow in so many ways - I need to embrace each stage and hang on tight to the memories. Change is hard. Watching your kids grow up is hard. BUT - it is also good. It is good to see them take what you have taught them and use it to make good decisions and be successful.

So as hard as it is - I just keep telling myself....Embrace Change!!! (Because it is going to happen whether I like it or not :)

2 comments:

Kristi Clinger said...

You have me crying Kari! I've been thinking about this as well. It's crazy how different each child is and to recognize their strengths and weaknesses.
Paige, you're an awesome young lady that will do great in middle school. It may seem hard now but I bet you'll look back and say what was I nervous about. That school is lucky to be getting such a creative , smart girl.

It was great to see you yesterday even if it was only for a minute and from a distance.

DK-Bennett said...

"Things turn out best, for the people who make the best, of the way things turn out" - John Wooden

love that attitude you are awesome