Friday, January 30, 2009

MAJOR CURVE BALL!

When playing softball I would often have to hit against the ever dreaded "curve ball." When the pitcher would pitch the ball I would be standing in the batters box. Prepared, ready to hit what was coming at me. I would see the ball leave the pitchers hand and know exactly where it was going...THEN the unexpected would happen and the ball would curve to the left or to the right. Sometimes I would be ready for it and hit the ball, while other times I was not prepared and it would blow right by me. Last Wednesday I was pitched a major curve ball....one I was not ready or prepared for! I went to youth night just like every other Wednesday. I was setting up for our activity when the bishop asked to speak with me. He called me into his office, which I admit - made me feel a little nervous. I felt like I was in elementary school, in trouble, and going to the principals office :-)
Once we were in there he let me know that I would be released from my current calling of working with the youth in my ward. Immediately the water works turned on! I LOVE working with the youth. I learn so much from them. They have such strong testimonies and are amazing kids! The bishop looked at me and said they had another great calling for me. As I sat there and wondered what it could be, he said, "Are You Ready?" Then I heard words I never thought I would EVER hear, come out of his mouth. "We would like for you to be the PRIMARY PRESIDENT!!!!"
WHAT!!!!! Was all I could say! I have not worked in primary in a very long time and don't know anything about how the primary is run. Well, the nozzle turned back on and the tears started flowing once again. At that moment a million emotions were going through my mind. I can't do this, what will I do, how can I be over so many kids, can I take on this much resposibility? I don't think excited or happy were one of the emotions. Once I sat there in complete shock, I decided if this is where they felt like I should be then I would accept the calling. As I went home that night I still felt very unsure of myself. I walked into the house, saw Rick sitting in the chair and just stood there and cried. I think it was at that moment I realized the magnitude of this calling. Yes, I was VERY sad not to be working with the youth in the ward but at the same time what I was about to undertake was HUGE! Working with the children in the church is SO important. As their leader the amount of pressure is huge. As days went on I attended the temple, prayed, pondered, prayed some more, and of course prayed some more. I was able to choose some wonderful ladies to help me in my presidency. Once these ladies were put in place I have had a complete 180! I don't feel as overwhelmed, scared, and unsure. I do feel very humbled and can now say I am very excited and happy to be working with the children in the ward. It is amazing how the Lord can bless you with peace when you ask for it! I feel like I haven't prayed this long and hard for a very long time. I also find myself thinking about primary and these children 24/7. I am reminded how important these children are in Proverbs Chapter 22:6. "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." No pressure right??? I realize it is not soley my job to "train up the children." But I do feel that when they come to church each Sunday it is my job to make sure they know they are loved and that their Father in Heaven loves each one of them. It has been a week now and to my surprise I am very excited to take on this great challenge. I have already felt an amazing difference in my life.With that being said, any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! So - as this curve ball has completely thrown me for a loop, I am happy to report, I'm currently up, standing back in the batters box and ready for the next pitch!

10 comments:

Tom and Audrie said...

You will do awesome!!!! I miss working with the primary and you will love it just like you did the youth. I remember when I moved to McKinney you were in the primary presidency and you did awesome then too. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!!

Kristi Clinger said...

You'll be great Kari! I'm sure you'll get the chance to work with some amazing women that will support you 100%.

hoLLy said...

you are perfect for it kari! i was thrilled when i heard you were called-you are going to do great. you have picked a great group of ladies to work with and with each others help you will accomplish wonders!

4sweetboys1princess said...

You will be a great primary president!!

Anonymous said...

You are going to do a great job. Being inPrimary is so fun, it is like being a kid all over again.

DK-Bennett said...

Me and Kristi and excited for you. congrats! You'll be great.

-Melissa- said...

You are going to be great in primary!

mamapickle said...

I think you are perfect for this and the kids will all love you! It is amazing how you just love all the kids and can't get them off of your mind. I will miss being in there so I hope you don't mind if I pop in every now and then. I just love the spirit you feel surrounded by all those sweet kids :)

Cyndi and Alyssa said...

Congrats! You will be so good! Too bad we are in a different Ward, it would be great to have you in primary (I am a sunbeam teacher)

Christine said...

Kari---You will be fabulous in this calling! You are amazing and the kids are going to learn alot from you! You were great when we were in Primary together and I have no doubt that you will be wonderful now!!