Tuesday, February 16, 2010

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

I love Valentines Day and all the LOVE that comes with it! My favorite part about it is that I get to spend the day with the people I love the most! MY FAMILY!!! The night before, Rick took me out to dinner with some friends! It was really fun, and with the NBA All-Star game being in town, the restaurant was very packed! Come to find out, the table next to us were professional athletes! One of the guys was a football player for the Kansas City Chiefs and the other played for the Raiders! (sorry Jason - no autographs :) But really nice guys! After dinner we went hot tubbing! It was so much fun! Sitting outside in what felt like zero degree weather until the wee hours of the morning!
The next morning was actually Sunday, so Rick and I wished each other a Happy Valentines Day and off to Stake Conference we went! When we got home, Rick made a sandwich for me. Joking I said, "what, your not making me a heart sandwich!" Ask and ye shall receive! My sweet husband made me a heart sandwich! It was the best heart shaped sandwich I have ever tasted! He also gave me my most favorite valentines day presents ever! Snapple and a Twix Bar! Yes, there is a story behind this! Let's just say I have somewhat groomed Rick into the sweet, romantic man he is today. Our first year of marriage, Valentines Day consisted of last minute flowers. I explained to him, all I want is for him to think (ahead of time) of something that I would like. Put some thought into it! So the next year for Valentines Day, I woke up to flowers, a card, a snapple and a twix candy bar. Rick left for work very early, so I know he had to have actually thought of that atleast one day in advance. The card said, I wanted to get you your favorites...snapple and a twix. That was the best Valentines Gift ever!!!! So I got my favorite again! Thanks honey!!!! The real truth is - that Valentines Day isn't just once a year around here...Rick is pretty great about showing me he loves me all year round! For fun, we decided to make some Valentine sugar cookies and let the kids decorate them! I didn't have the recipe I wanted, so the day before I had called my sister for the recipe. She called back and gave the recipe to Jordan. I asked Jordan for the recipe and she even rewrote it so I could read it. I started putting all the ingredients in one by one, following the directions exactly. But something just didn't seem right. BUT - I figured, it had to be right! I'm sure Jordan copied the recipe down word for word. When I saw ingredients listed more than once, I was a little worried. So I called my sister back just to confirm what I was doing was correct. I got her on the phone and I started reading, "1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup shortening, 3 eggs and cream together. She confirmed that was correct, so I continued....4 cups evaporated milk....just then she busted up in laughter....4 cups she chuckled! It should be 1/4cup....." I had thought it looked a little runny!!! We both had a good laugh and found a few other flaws in the recipe. Well, needless to say, I dumped out the mixture and started over. I have come to realize that is what a teenager does best....focuses on way too many things like friends, boys, music, etc... and sometimes in doing so, can't focus all their attention on one thing...I was sure to tell my sister - until Jordan grows out of the teenage phase...just give the recipe to Paige. We had a good laugh!!!! The cookies turned out great and we had a blast getting creative! This cookie was my favorite! The kids had a fun time decorating. (and tasting too!)
For dinner, we headed to mom and dad's house. Mom had the table decorated so beautiful! And believe it or not, this was the first time in 8 years that they have lived in the house, they have used the dining room table! We were special!!!! Dinner was great!!! Dad made a ham, we had all the fixins, sparkling grape juice, and the best part - eating by candlelight!
Valentines Day is about being with the ones you love....I loved spending the day with mom and dad and my family!
Me and the girls!!!Dad and the boys!!
Some of my favorite pictures are of the kids on Valentines Day! Here are the kids showing their love!!!!

No comments: