Monday, November 30, 2009

Week Before Thanksgiving!!

Is it just me or does it seem like we just had Halloween?? Where did November go?? October, November, and December are my favorite months and they seem to go by the fastest. Let me try and catch up! The week before Thanksgiving was a busy one for our family.

First thing is first!!! Remember how I mentioned on a few posts back that Paige was running for Historian of 5th grade? WELL.........SHE WON!!!! Way to go Paige! Can't wait to see the scrapbook you put together!

A CAMPING WE WILL GO!
In 5th grade the kids are given the opportunity to go to Sky Ranch. Sky Ranch is an awesome campground about an hour and a half away from us. Parents that would like to go are put into a random drawing and guess what!!!!! I was chosen to go with Paige! I was so excited! I had the opportunity to go to Sky Ranch when Jordan was in 5th grade and was hoping to be able to go with Paige. I dug out my camo and was ready to go! We were able to campout for 3 days. We left bright and early on Wednesday (Nov 18th). Once we got there we were able to get settled into our cabins. The cabins were so nice and the area was so beautiful. I loved all the trees and our cabin had a great view of the lake. While at Sky Ranch the kids have opportunities to take classes that were pre selected by their teachers. The first class my group took was Native Americans. The kids learned about the different Indian tribes, learned how they lived, and about their culture. The kids also had a chance to practice shooting a bow and arrow. Paige did great! I on the other hand was pathetic! On my first try, my arrow didn't go anywhere but straight down. After a few more tries and some help from the counselor, I managed to hit my target. There is a big cafeteria there with great food. It was so nice, because I was truly there as a chaperon...just to make sure the kids were doing what they were suppose to, but other than that - the counselors took over. I felt like all I had to do was RELAX!! Wahooo! We had a great group of girls in our cabin. They were very sweet and didn't stay up too late! AND we didn't have any drama! Amazing with a group of 11 girls! The next day the kids did the challenges class. This involved different activities where the kids had to work together. The first test was when Paige was blindfolded and suppose to lead the rest of the group. Their job was to also close their eyes and listen to her direction. Another test was crossing a log 2 at a time....it took the kids awhile to figure it out, but they soon figured the best way was to step over each other...that was pretty funny to watch. They all wanted to group up with Paige because she was the smallest! The kids were also given the opportunity to ride the zip line. I was so proud of Paige...I wasn't sure she would do it because it was pretty high, but she did it and came down with a big smile on her face! I even had a chance to give it a try. It was awesome....I hadn't done that since 6th grade. That night the counselors put on a fun campfire for the kids. They did such cute skits and really got the kids involved. Paige was in heaven...she wasn't at school, she was having fun camping, spending time with her friend (another Paige), sitting in the great outdoors, and of course the best part was spending time with her mom. (okay, I added that part:)The girls were so fired up from the campfire, they weren't ready for bed. Some of the girls stayed up telling ghost stories, some danced and sang, and Paige was in a heated card game. We also had great weather. The rain held off until the last day. By that time we were loading up and getting ready to go anyway. We had a great time at Sky Ranch. I figure this was my last time going....now it is Ricks turn to go with the boys! Paige is such a good sport and is so easy to take places...thanks for letting me go with you Paige! I had a great time!

CAMP WISDOM AND CUB WORLD

After camping for three days, I was a bit tired and to be honest wasn't super excited for our next adventure. Saturday morning bright and early we were suppose to go an hour away to a cub scout camp for Chase. His scout troop was spending the day here. Families were invited and we would be cooking over the fire. As I mentioned it had started raining Friday and continued Friday night. My thoughts were; I don't want to get up early and I really don't want to sit out in the mud! But the adventure wasn't cancelled. SO..the family was up and headed to Duncanville by 8:30. Once we arrived, I must say - I was pleasantly surprised. The spot our troop reserved was at the pirate ships. They had two giant ships facing each other. We have fabulous scout leaders who had great activities planned. The boys got swords, no not real ones - styrofoam ones! They fought, went on treasure hunts, made boats and floated them, climbed ropes and each den did a skit. Cody was in heaven! Running crazy, playing, and climbing! We also roasted hot dogs and made smores. It was a great day! Before we left we had one last adventure - there is a "cave" there. It's actually an completely dark tunnel, somewhat underground. The sign above clearly stated flashlights required, but we figure we didn't REALLY need flashlights....Boy were we wrong! Paige and I headed in..it wasn't too bad at first, but the farther we got, the darker it got. And the space was getting smaller and smaller. This was the day we found out Paige may have closterphobic issues...I can't blame her though! We were in the tunnel and not sure which way to go. Kids were in front of us and behind us. Finally, someone came through with a very small flashlight. I feel bad, but I grabbed that from him and Paige and I made our way back to the beginning. (I was afraid she was going to pass out!) Yes, I left the boy and everyone in a pitch black tunnel - but they didn't seem to mind. Before we left - Paige did finally go all the way through the tunnel, along with all the other kids. We had a great day and I am so glad we went! Can't wait for next year.

No comments: