Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CUPCAKES 101

This past week Jordan has been coming home with information on picking her classes for next year. This makes me panic for a couple of reasons....first this means she will be going into high school next year! WHAT??? And second I only have 4 1/2 short years until she leaves me. AHHHHH!!! All of a sudden I have gone into panic mode. Does she know how to do her own laundry? Does she know how to clean? Can she cook? Can she take care of herself? As we all know whether she knows how to do these things or not, she will for sure figure it out on her own right? But as a mother, I want her to be ready and prepared and the thought of only 4 years left to make sure she is a master at all of this terrifies me! So - lesson #1...BAKING! Jordan signed up to bring cupcakes for the Honor Society bakesale. I explained to her that she could go ahead and make them herself. I wasn't home last night, and when I got home I was very happy to find out that she had taken it upon herself to make them. I went upstairs and Jordan said she made one batch and that dad mentioned I could make the rest. When I went downstairs to check out her work, I can see why Rick may have "kindly" suggested I finish the job. All I could do was smile....how cute! She really tried. It cracked me up....the cupcakes barely came to the top of the baking cup. All I could think of was....people are really going to pay 50 cents for these? She came downstairs and I explained to her that it really was okay to fill the cup 3/4 of the way full. We both giggled. We tasted our fair share of the batter and it was super yummy....so at least she can read the directions. We figured if they didn't look good, they would atleast taste good. This morning when she came downstairs and she saw my cupcakes next to hers, she laughed again and asked if we could just take mine in to sell. No worries!!! Once I got them all frosted with sprinkles on them - they ALL looked great! So hopefully we have cupcakes out of the way and we can move onto the next lesson!

No comments: