Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Twilight!!!

Okay, so I am one of the very few people out there who have actually NOT read the books. BUT, Jordan is totally into the books. She was among the millions who went to Barnes and Noble to party and stand in line. She went with some friends and at 12:01 am bought the book, then went to her friends house and stayed up reading. I picked her up Saturday afternoon and she was on page 350 (about). As we were driving home my sister called. (another HUGE Twilight fan) She asked where Jordan was in the book and proceeded to let me know that this book had a little more "adult" content in it. She told me parts Jordan had just finished reading and what was ahead in the book. SO once we got home I sat down with Jordan to talk about what she had read. Poor thing....she is not one that likes to talk about "girlie" things or anything to do with the "S" word. So she REALLY didn't want to have this conversation.... She put a pillow in front of her face so all I could see were here little eyes and listened. Needless to say we had an expanded version of "the talk" and much more. Poor thing...she was so embarassed...her little eyes filled with tears were just looking back at me. I tried to let her know that this topic was just as embarassing for me as it was for her and tried to lighten up the mood.
That night she had to babysit, so she didn't read anymore. On Sunday our sweet bishop came and talked to the young women about this book. He is so awesome...in a kind and loving way he just shared his concern with the girls about the book. He didn't come out and say "don't read it." But I'm sure all the girls new what was on his mind. As we walked out of the classroom, I looked at Jordan and asked her, "are you going to finish the book?" She smiled and said, "no."
I am realizing as she gets older the great struggles these girls have to face. As a parent I only hope I know what to do in all these situations our children are faced with. I am so proud of Jordan for the girl that she is and the decisions that she makes. She spent her own money on that book and I know how much she was looking forward to reading it...
Jordan you are so awesome! Thanks for being the example you are! I am so proud of you sweetie!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Jordan I am so proud of her. That would be a hard choice to make knowing how much she loves the books, to not abe to read how it end would really stink.I love the books also but I will not let my girls read them just because I would not feel comfortable with her reading the last book, which is a bummer because they are so good!

DK-Bennett said...

Jordan i wish i was that strong. You are a shining lite to all of us. Thanks for your example. On behalf of me and Kristi we love you.

McCall said...

Jordan, You are such an example to me, I am very proud of you! If you ever need me I am always there for you no matter what. I love you!

hoLLy said...

ahhh, what a great girl! (you must be a great mom!)

Kristen said...

Sorry to ruin it for you Jord...and sorry you had to have THE TALK again! You made the decision I was so hoping you would! And I am so proud of you!!!

It was so hard for me to hear all of my Beehives at church talking about how they were reading it and that their parents didn't care what it had in it. They wanted to borrow mine and all I could say was NO and tell them that I didn't think it was appropriate for them yet. Sad thing is that I'm sure they will find it elsewhere, instead of waiting until they are old enough to understand it all!

I'm proud of you sweetie! LOVE YOU!!!