Thursday, August 14, 2008

Is it ME or is it HIM??????

Okay, so Cody will be going to Kindergarten next week. If you ask him if he is excited to go he says, "No, and I'm not going because my mom is home schooling me!" I quickly informed him I am not home schooling him, but I would volunteer in the classroom. "Every day???" he immediately asked. Again, I responded no! But I told him I could eat lunch with him. "Every day????" Again, the answer was no! Being the last of four children I realize that we have probably "babied" him more so than the other kids....not on purpose, but I think that last one, just naturally stays the baby....forever! I love cuddling with him, giving him what he wants, making him happy and I find myself trying to keep him little. But I have come to the realization that my baby will be going to Kindergarten....that it is inevitable...he has to grow up...That is a terrible thing as a parent to see your kids grow up so fast.
So Tuesday he had his Kindergarten assessment...we got there and sat down. They had a name tag for us to write his name on and stick on his shirt. One thing Cody does not like is stickers...funny huh! It was all I could do to talk him into putting the sticker on...as we waited for the teachers we had a talk about how much fun he would have and how brave he would be. The teachers walked in...most of the other kids jumped up and went straight to the teachers..Cody just held on to me tighter and tighter. We walked over to the teachers and the tears started flowing. (from Cody) I looked at the teacher and told her....just take him and he will be fine once you get to the classroom. I felt terrible, for myself, Cody, and the teacher. After about 45 minutes the kids came back....thankfully I was told he stopped crying after just a couple of minutes. The first thing he did was tear off his sticker and give it to me. I'm hoping he realized it wasn't all that bad!
So Kindergarten will be here before I know it and I have no idea how things will go that first day of school. I am sure it will be quite a scene. Cody will be crying because he won't want to go, and I will be crying because I don't want to send him, but know I have too. It should be interesting! It's funny because Cody took his speech classes at this school. He was also up there with me all the time volunteering and eating lunch with the kids. I thought he would feel perfectly comfortable there. So....as the first day of school approaches I am trying to think of a way to make him more excited! Mostly have the first day of school be as least tramatizing as possible...any ideas!!!?????? Any help would be greatly appreciated...I love my little guy and will miss him so much! I am wondering....is it Cody that needs to cut the cord or ME!!!!! I will keep you updated!

7 comments:

Christine said...

Goodluck, Kari! Wish I had some advice for you! Makenna only goes to half day kindergarten here (Utah needs to get with the times!!) and she was very excited to go. I'm sure next year I will struggle a lot when she is gone all day. It's so hard to believe how fast our babies have grown. It really isn't fair!! Cody will do great! He's such a cutie and he will have fun at school!

Glenda said...

Oh Kari! He'll do great! I know it took me about four months before I got used to Noah being gone ... so you'll be okay too!

Here's my advice: take him to the school again. Go through his whole day - take him to the library, the cafeteria, and front office (he's been there with you a million times). Tell him how excited you are and how great he's going to do at school -- and -- this is awful, but have a treat for him after school. Tell him about it b/c bribery always wins (i'm a baaaad parent1).

Kim Robertson told me that she always has piping hot chocolate chip cookies for her kids after their first day of school. I took her idea & my kids love it!

Good luck! You're a great Mom - he'll be fantastic (and so will you)!!

Anonymous said...

He will do great. Your kids are so well behaved - I bet he will be the best student ever!

I can't think of any good ideas - maybe let him pick a new backpack out and a toy and have the toy waiting for him in the car when you pick him up. Or give him something small that reminds him of you that he can "hold onto" throughout the day.

Nissa-Lynn said...

you should have seen kay-lynn her first couple of days at school! she screamed bloody murder...hung on to me and made the biggest scene..the school counselor was called down to help and that helped alot. So if he cries don't worry...remember lots of kids go through it! he'll be ok! good luck!

McCall said...

Tell cody im in the same boat! but I cant hang on to my mom the first day #1 people would start to talk. haha just kiddin! But tell him that I love him and it will all be ok. All the kids have gone through it and they are still breathing. tell everyone that I love them and miss them so much!
- <33
McCall

mamapickle said...

Just know that he won't be the only kid there that is sad, and you won't be the only Mom crying as you walk to the car.

Wendy said...

You guys will be fine, just prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Cody is such a sweetie, I can't imagine him making a big scene- he will adjust and so will you.