Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School!!!

Okay, so today definately makes my lifetime list of top 10 worst most depressing days! Today my baby went to Kindergarten! I have been home with one or more child for 13 years and today I was alone!!!! Rick did work from home today, so I wouldn't be totally alone. The school adventure started last night, when the kids couldn't fall asleep. One by one they would come downstairs explaining to Rick and I that they couldn't sleep. We started with Chase in our bed and when I woke up this morning, Cody was in my bed. Jordan was up first at 6:00...excited and ready for me to curl her hair. I went and woke the other kiddos up at 7:00. While I was upstairs I heard Rick say, "Jordan are you okay." I came downstairs to find her leaning over - head in the sink.....yup you guessed it! Puking!!!! I walked into the kitchen and she popped her head up and said, "I feel better now!" We will chalk that up to nerves! Not only was it the first day of school, but also the first day of volleyball tryouts! She brushed her teeth, grabbed her bags, and off she went! Once the little kiddos were ready Rick and I loaded them all up and off to school we went.......
But not before we took our first day of school pictures!!!! Aren't they all so cute!
We dropped off Chase first, next Paige, then we were off to the Kindergarten area for Cody. Yes, it was packed of parents waiting to say their goodbyes! When it was time for Cody to walk through those Kindergarten doors it went something like this:
"Okay mom I will give you a fake, somewhat concerned smile, but I'm not really sure that I really want to go to Kindergarten. Whatever happened to home-schooling me????""I can't believe I have to give up my care-free life of playing with mom, watching cartoons, and eating fruit snacks all day. Maybe if I hold on to Dad's hand tight enough he won't make me let go.""I better give mom a "fake" smile so she won't cry and so she thinks I will do okay" "School wasn't so bad!I had a great first day! I got to play with playdoh that changed colors. I guess I will go back tomorrow!"So why was my day so bad??? After I dropped the kids off at school I headed to Walmart. ALONE! Some might be happy about this, but it was quite sad. I didn't have my little man telling me he was thirsty and needed chocolate milk to drink while we were shopping. I even heard a little one throwing a fit in the next aisle over...I wanted tell the mom...it's really not that bad. Enjoy this, soon they will be at school. I figured she would probably think I was nuts though! Once I got back into the car, there was nobody to talk to! I did have fun at lunch with some girls that used to babysit my kids. One is now married with a baby of her own. (how old do I feel??) Then home and a couple of more errands before picking up the kids. I know that right now I am finding it all very sad, and probably next week I will be over all of this. It is just very sad when you realize your life has completely changed overnight and your babies are growing up. I told Rick we were either going to have to have another baby or buy a dog.....he didn't answer, but I'm sure the answer would be NEITHER! :-) Maybe we could just borrow someones baby every once in awhile????
Overall the kids did great! They all love their teachers and deep down, I think they were excited to be back at school. Jordan had a great first day at volleyball tryouts....if you notice she was number 79 out of about 120 girls.....they will be taking only 36 girls.....it will be really tough, but I know she will give it her best!
Jordan, Paige, Chase, and Cody....I am so proud of you! You are great kids and I know you will have a great year! I know in about a week or so, I won't be lonely....according to Cody I have a lot to do...one night I was laying with him in bed and asked, "what am I going to do without you home?" His response was, "CLEAN!" I said, "oh, what will I clean." He said, "the closet under the stairs is a mess. I can't even walk in it."
So there you have it - it seems I have a lot of cleaning to keep me busy!

8 comments:

hoLLy said...

thank you for this post kari-it really reminded me to treasure my little ones while they are still little! they grow way too fast unfortunately:( i need to remember to enjoy every moment of it.

i love reading the things cody says, he sounds like quite the character!(and also very smart)

hey, and you can borrow any of our babies anytime! we live right behind ya!

Kristi Clinger said...

I'm so glad he wants to go back. It will get better Kari. This is the time you will get to do temple trip during the day and go to institute.
If you get your house cleaned out of boredom you can come over here next. I have a home with children(for your fix).
Love ya.

Christine said...

Sounds like Cody likes school after all! You're such a good mom to miss them and want them to be around! Goodluck to Jordan on tryouts! I'm sure that she will do great! Tell the family hi from us!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you survived the day! I dont know what I am going to do when Tatum is in school all day, Mikes says get a job=0)! I hope that everyone has a great school year, and that you are not to lonely with no one at home with you!

McCall said...

So CUTE! I love you guys! I am sure I will give you some rings when I ditch seminary sometimes.. but The kids look so cute! When I have a baby you can play with it all you want haha love you!

Wendy said...

Kari, you can borrow either of my kids anytime! I hope that doesn't make me a bad mom. I love them, but I but don't mind ya borrowing them so I can get a little shopping done:) Cody looks so cute, he is such a sweetheart!

Kristen said...

Codeman is WAY TOO FUNNY! And by the way...Mom thinks you should just have another one!

Amanda said...

I can't believe you are alone. I would be sad too. I had Matthew to replace Ali when she left to Kinder. Guess that won't be happening anymore so I'll just have to get used to it. They all looked so cute. WE need to get together sometime and go out to eat.