Sunday, March 21, 2010

Catching UP!!!!

It's amazing how much life revolves around the computer. All communication seems to stop when the computer isn't working. How did we do it back in the days of no computers, cell phones, ipods, etc??????
During the "winter" months, life turned to basketball. This was Cody's first year playing basketball and he did GREAT! Chase had a great year as well. His team finished third (or fourth)in the tournament. Chase played so well. I was so proud of how much more aggressive he was this year. He was awesome on defense and when he had the opportunity wasn't afraid to take the shot!

If you read some of my previous posts, you knew that I had started running and was looking forward to a 5K run in Ft Worth. Well, time came for the run...whether I was ready or not, I was going. Myself and a couple of girlfriends decided to make a weekend out of it. We headed towards Ft Worth and stayed in a hotel. We went to dinner that night, raided the candy counter at CVS, stayed up late, and did all the fun stuff girls would do at a "sleepover." The race started the next morning at 8:15, but we needed to pick up our packets by 7:45. We decided since we were only 15 minutes from downtown Ft Worth if we left by 6:45, we would have plenty of time. We woke up, strolled out of bed, and made it out the door. We were feeling pretty good and ready for our big run! :) We came up to our exit and came to a complete stop! Oh my gosh, there were so many cars EVERYWHERE! I don't even think we moved but a few feet in 30 minutes. Passengers were getting out of their cars to walk...it was crazy! I finally got off the exit and began crossing a bridge. At that point, my friends decided they should probably walk to atleast get us checked in. About 20 minutes went by and they called letting me know they had gotten our packets and we were good to go. They asked where I was, sadly - I had hardly moved!!!! Come to find out - they had expected about 20,000 people for the race! You would have thought they would have had someone directing traffic! By the time we finally parked and was headed to the race it was 9:00! We had missed our race, but an Adult/Kid 5K run was starting at 9:15. We figured we would just run that! We got ourselves ready and warmed up and we were ready to go! The run started...we were in the back, but moved our way closer to the front. It was a little hard dodging all the kids. Some would be walking, some would dart right in front of you, and some would just stop right in front of you. BUT....I was focused and ready to do this! We started up one hill, and luckily there was a downhill after it. I was feeling great, then we came to another hill, and the end of this hill, I was starting to feel it - but was determined to keep going. As we turned the corner, I heard a lady tell her little boy - "LOOK, there is the finish line!" Wow, I thought.....this went by faster than I thought! I started sprinting to the finish line and felt GREAT! Once I crossed I noticed the time said 10 minutes and a few seconds. My first reaction was WOW, I ran that fast! But quickly realized that would have been impossible. I found my friends and we were a little confused! Come to find out - one of the policeman that was directing the race, stopped to direct traffic and directed us the wrong way - so really we only ran 1.8 miles! Man, what a let down!!!! We were so bummed! They were handing out bags of goodies, serving ice cream, smoothies, and different things to all the runners. We looked at each other and felt like we didn't even burn enough calories to deserve eating ice cream! Eventhough, we didn't get to run the full 5K, we had a great time!I have already looked into another run over Mothers Day weekend! Hopefully that one will turn out a little better! Thanks Melanie and Kendra for spending the weekend....I had a great time! Already looking forward to next year!

Later that night, Paige and I were able to attend moms play she had been working so hard for. She was the narrator in the play at church, "The Ten Virgins." She worked so hard to memorize her lines....I had no idea that she was pretty much the main character! She was awesome! So good, in fact, they did the show again last weekend. I was able to take Jordan this time, and bring some friends along. Mom was just as great....even better the second time around! Mom was amazing, but did I really expect anything less. I love that story, and have now been listening to the songs everyday! Mom, I'm so proud of you!

Friday, March 5 was a night to party! My friend, Cindy is getting married in April, so we partied - only as we know how!!!!! We had yummy fruit drinks and enjoyed watching her open all her fun "goodies." BUT, the highlight of the night was when we busted out in our "Single Ladies" tribute!!! Yes, we are crazy! Black tights with swimsuits....oh my gosh! And my friend gave me a body suit type thing to wear! Not sure I will ever be wearing that again :) I LOVE my friends!!!! There are only a few people I feel comfortable enough with to dance in a bodysuit and tights.....(anything for you Cindy!) While the others were jumping in the hot tub, Aprille, Nissa, and I had way too much fun with the camera! We were like 12 year old girls, giggling and taking TONS of pictures of ourselves! Sorry - I was sworn to keep some of the photos in the private vault! :) The ones above, should have probably been in that category as well :) We had a great night with the girls! To all my girls....thanks for being crazy with me and for a night of fun and never ending laughs!!!

Saturday was a bit of a busy day. I wanted to share something Jordan had the opportunity to do! Some of the youth in my ward took on the challenge of walking 22 miles to the Dallas Temple. The kids met at the church building at 5:00 in the morning, then were dropped off at their starting point. It was kind of a chilly day, but the sun was shining. All the kids had such a good time and had the best attitudes. Jordan said it was definately very hard. A lot harder than she had thought it would be. She even had a HUGE blister on the back of her heel to prove it. From the pictures you can tell this is a great group of kids. The had a blast spending the day together. I'm sure it was torture for Jordan to hang out with the boys! :)It wasn't all boys....Jordan had some of her very best girlfriends with her also. The walk took about 7 hours. Can you imagine! Wow! The walk was full of fun times and memories for all the kids. I'm sure there was a lot of adventure as well. Jordan said when they finally got to a point where they could see the Angel Moroni on the top of the temple - it was an amazing feeling! The kids were so proud of themselves and were so proud to reach their goal. I'm sure they all ran to the temple grounds so excited to be there. I'm sure the day was full of many lessons Jordan will be able to look back on and use throughout her life. We have already talked about different symbolisms of things and difficulties she faced on the walk. Kind of like life! I'm so proud of her for wanting to take on this challenge! I am thankful Jordan has the church and such a strong group of friends to help her stay on the right path.

That night - even though Jordan was exhausted, we headed to Ft Worth to watch the BYU mens basketball team play TCU! We love to support our BYU Cougars!

Well, that should just about catch me up on the blogging! Lots of fun things have come our way! We stay busy and enjoy every minute of it! One day we won't be so busy and Rick and I won't know what to do with ourselves :)

No comments: