Monday, August 24, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL!

The summer has ended and the kids are on their way to school. As parents Rick and I want our children to be as prepared as possible for things that may come their way. Unfortunately the world is very different than the world we grew up in. We felt one way to do this was to have a back to school dinner. Rick grilled the kids favorite dinner.....SALMON! And we had a great theme along with dinner!Yes, the theme for this year is BE PREPARED! We felt if the kids could be prepared in four areas they would have a great start! Be Prepared to hear the spirit of the Lord. Be Prepared to be an example. Be Prepared to Choose the Right. Be Prepared to be Steadfast and Immoveable. To help the younger kids visualize and remember each of these things I made little cards for them and put them on a ring. At dinner each child also had an object.....Cody - an arrow (choose the right), Chase - a mirror (be an example), Paige - a picture of a mountain (be steadfast and immoveable), and Jordan - a book teaching how to recognize the spirit of the Lord.I could have sat at that table all night.....we had some great discussions about what the kids felt they might be tempted with this year. As I sat at the end of the table, I couldn't help but stare down at the other end just watching and listening to my awesome hubby! While much of the conversation was geared towards Jordan (who is entering high school), Rick wanted to make sure she and all the children were aware of situations they may be put in. What to do in those situations and how to react. I am so grateful that my children have a dad who cares for them so much. A dad who wants them to BE PREPARED when situations arise. Dinner was followed by the yearly tradition of "father's blessings." What a comfort it is as a mom to sit and watch Rick give each child a blessing before school. Sending them off with that extra "protection" is so awesome!
Morning came and the craziness began! Breakfast was eaten
(and spilled on new clothes), clothes ironed, teeth brushed, lunches made, backpacks ready, and hair done! We had quite the assembly line in the bathroom going. I was curling Jordans hair and Jordan was straightening Paiges hair! Loved it!
My little Cody is going into first grade. We are so excited for him to be the super reader we know he can be! He has a fantastic teacher named Mrs. Gahan. We really lucked out! Both Paige and Chase had her for first grade as well....Chase is starting third grade. He too has a great teacher...Mrs. Dixon. But mostly he is excited because his best buddy, Colton, is in his class. What are the chances???? I'm happy they will be together! Paige is the head of the school as a fifth grader. She has three different teachers, which she thinks is great!!! She has Mrs. Nuttal, Reynolds, and the new guy teacher Mr. McAfee. She already thinks he is awesome after meeting him the other day at back to school night. 5th grade is a blast because she will get to go to Sky Ranch this year! Paige is going to have a great year!
My Jordan is off to the big High School....BOYD! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! Didn't I just get out of high school???? I'm so excited for her...she will have a blast! School doesn't start for her until 9:15, so it was nice that she got to be home with us this morning and go to the elementary school with me. She came down for breakfast and as I turned around I noticed she had gotten all the kids lunch boxes and started packing their lunches....I didn't even say a word. How great is she????!!!!!!! Jordan has this week before seminary starts next week....then back to early morning for her! After we dropped the kids off at school, it was time to take her....she was complaining of her shoes giving her blisters, so we ran home. I told her she should probably change shoes (she has a lot of walking to do...her school is HUGE!)

BUT - she said, no....I will just get lots of bandaids......Fashion before comfort I guess!!! :) As we pulled in front of the school, I was a little sad but also excited. Sad, my little girl is growing up, but excited for Jordan and the great journey she is about to begin! Out of the car she went....ready for a great day!
Its funny....when the kids are little and they are all home - you can't wait to have some alone time...(to get things done.) But when that time comes.... you wish you could go back to when they were all little.

3 comments:

mamapickle said...

I have lots of friends who are alone at home now with all the kids in school. I still have 2 at home and have even thought about having another one just because I know the time is going to fly by too fast. But then they scream and cry and hit and that feeling passes!haha

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe that Jord is in High School! I hope everyone has a great year! I love you dinner idea!

Nissa-Lynn said...

I love you FHE lesson! YOU are the most amazing Mom ever!