Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Small children leave the room....

So we got an email awhile back from my brother...he mentioned something about someone getting injured....we didn't realize he was talking about himself until he called us the other day and sent us these pictures. He said he was so lucky that he didn't lose his whole finger! He definately gave credit to the Lord watching over him! He said his finger got caught on the gun somehow in the hum v (spelling???) As you can see it completely ripped his finger nail off! He did lose some skin as well....the doctors aren't sure if his nail will ever grow back or not, I guess we will have to wait and see...my mom is a little worried that he may not meet a girl because he is "scarred!" We assurred her that girls like some battle scars...right???
This is the new vehicle he is driving....sometimes he drives and sometimes he is in the top controlling the gun...scary thought!
This is a picture of Donny and some other fellow soldiers out with the afghan people...(Donny is the last one in the picture looking sideways) Its funny how most of my life I grew up around the military...the importance of America and patriotism was a constant. Once I went away to school and got married I wasn't surrounded by it anymore. This past 4th of July was the first time in a long time that it really hit me how lucky I am. Because of people like my brother - who give up everything and put themselves in danger everyday...I am free! Free to make so many choices others can't..I guess until it personally effects you, we sometimes forget! Thanks Donny for reminding me of so many things! Donny is doing awesome! We are hoping he will get to come home in October for some leave time....please keep him and our other soldiers in your prayers....they are truely amazing people...heroes!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yikes, that looks like it hurt. I personally think battle wounds are sexy, it might even bump up his stock! You are so right about how lucky we are, I grew up in the military too and I am not nearly as patriotic as I should be. Thank you for the reminder.

Kristen said...

Awesome post! I actually linked my blog to yours...hope you don't mind! And yes...you need to come back next summer!

Jennifer said...

Wow! I just threw up in my mouth...kidding. So bummed that the nail might not grow back. I don't know if he'll ever find a wife to marry now! Ha, kidding again! I hope it heals soon!